Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2021

DFI Core Business - Day 1

 Today was the first day for the Northland DFI cohort. I finally learnt where the name Manaiakalani came from and it's relation to  harnessing intelligence. I found the origins story very clever and now the pedagogy behind the programme means a lot more to me. It has sparked a lot of thought  on to how education can be innovated to support all. I have really enjoyed the diving deep and explore sessions where I can play around and learn about new tools which I think will be successfully used in my own class. I am excited into corporate voice typing into my writing and reading activities to enhance engagement effectively. I always believe that voice typing was a last tool resort (almost like a copout for some students who were defiant) however,  my perspectives have changed as core writing skills can still be taught, learnt and used. 

I learnt these new shortcuts. I wish I knew about the APA referencing during university! 

Command + shift + V = Copy without code (only text) 

Insert → Table of contents = Creates table of contents with bookmarks using headings. 

Headings 1 + “update heading 1” to match = All heading 1s are now same colour and size

Click on heading, then copy the url = Hyperlink to certain paragraphs in a document. 

Tools → voice typing (command+shift+s) = Voice typing 

Explore tool on doc = can automatically create footnotes in APA style


Towards the end of the session we designed our own creative poster. I went with creating a Service learning poster to support our class project for designing an affordable localised recipe booklet for a family of 5. To make this poster took a lot of patience fiddling with the arrows inside the textbook. Firstly, you create a text box which support the layout of your poster. Then I found photos to match my look. To remove the backgrounds, I used a new website called Removebg (This has become my new favourite website!). Then I adjusted to positions of my texts and pictures to design a poster which is supposed show how service can be done anywhere and each action is connected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment