Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Dealing with Data - Day 4

 Dealing with Data 

Lately in my planning and teaching I have realised how often I follow the Learn, Create Share, learning model without realising. My goal this week is to adapt the layout of my weekly planning and small parts of my term planning specifically following this learning model so others and myself can quickly identify which stages of learning they are in. I hope these changes will enable my class and I to become better at sharing to our blog and finding authentic audiences. 

I really like the catchphrase "I'm ready to share, rather than I'm finished!" - This will be implemented first thing tomorrow! 

In these sessions, we get delivered soo much information. I find that  my brain is always firing with new ways to plan, new ways to engage learners for tasks or how they can share. I really need Google Keep because I’m always making notes during these sessions to add to my end of the day tasks or release minutes as things to include for the following weeks lessons.

Today we focused on spreadsheets. I believe spreadsheets is the one site that is constantly changing and evolving. It feels good to be updated with the new tools and will be very helpful as I get into Report data collection. When teaching statistics or literacy reports, I love using spreadsheets and watching students explore this site and show their creativity in work. I'm looking forward to giving them a similar activity about their own blogs so they can learn statistical literacy and make goals on having better time management in finishing their work so they can share with others. 


This is a graph highlighting a student in Room 11's blogpost across four years. This graph identifies the year that Ahipara School started their DFI blogger program in 2018. In 2020, this students blogposts increased significantly throughout the whole year, especially in the month of June. This student created 25 blogposts throughout the year. That is 8 more blogpost than was made in 2019. An anomaly in this data would be in the month of April where no blogposts were made. In April 2020, New Zealand went into lockdown and students were online learning however, it took a period of time for schools to get devices to students. This would explain why no posts were made during April and suddenly increased in the following months.  This data would be interesting to look into across all students to see the importance Technology played in students learning during Covid lockdowns.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,

    I love the catch phrase that you added in your post today! We definitely get given so much information in such a short space of time. It's awesome to be able to think about how we can use the tools in our own lives and in our classroom.

    It was great working with you today.

    Here is a link to my blog

    See you next week,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that the catch phrase "ready to share" i will definitely be trialling that this week. I think its great you are going to get your students to use graphs to show their own blogging history and would be interested in hearing how it went.

    ReplyDelete